Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources Talk to Elementary Grades 2 to 6
Author: Howard Donohoe, Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources
Purpose of Talk
Main Educational Points
- Describe the study of geology and what a geologist does.
- Define minerals; show uncomplicated diagnostic tests.
- Define rocks.
- Show uses of rocks and minerals mined from the earth.
Outline of Talk
- Simple tests define minerals.
- Minerals form rocks.
- Rocks and minerals are important in our life.
- Geologists are the people who study minerals, rocks, fossils and mineral
- Introduction to activities.
- What is a Geologist?
- What does a geologists do?
- Tools for a geologist.
- Use of these tools for testing minerals.
- Minerals and Rocks.
- Uses of minerals and rocks mined from the earth.
- Questions and discussion.
- Geologists' materials: pack, hammer, hand lens, acid, hard hat, eye protection,
- Minerals and rocks: enough for four groups to work with various minerals and
- Selected big specimens.
- Material for teacher(s).